Wednesday, April 16, 2008

Tempo Runs Can Be Opiods

Since I have to swim today, I decided to throw in a quick 3.1 tempo run at sunrise. Just me and the birds and the commuter traffic. AH, but what a run it was. Fantastic. I felt like my legs were just going going going on their own, and my effort was minimal. I blew it out of the water. Not my fastest 5k, but close enough to where I have no guilt. Then off to the gym to do back and shoulders...did some core and then 20 minutes on the bike. I am swimming later in cool temperatures. That ought to be interesting. Swim to survive...

Observation of the day--mommies at the gym. They cluster in little oracles, babies on hips, crosstraining shoes in pink and purple. They chatter about sippy cups, scrapbooks, clearance sales at Baby Gap. They put a moderate effort on the elliptical for 40 minutes, and then throw around a few 5 pound weights. They ponder playdates and plan baby showers. Every day the same thing. Minivan in, minivan out. Potty training on, potty training off. A trip to the Wal-Mart for some flank steak and diapers, and a date with the hubby to watch television later. I thank the sweet Lord every day that I am not one of those mommies. I am ME. I see beyond the landscape of Little Tykes and baby pink Crocs. I watch the news, I read the paper, I care about who is going into office. I care about the state of the economy and environment. Little mundane mommy moments roll off my skin like toddler tears, and I never once forget who I am. Never once. I am not the sum of my children. Things impact me and drive me to act and be vocal; and of that, I am not ashamed. I just don't spout off things as facts without backing myself up with research. I am nobody's fool.

A little on the superior side I am today? Perhaps. But this is my blog. I am the pilot.

1 comment:

J&RO said...

Don't change a thing! Years from now those mommies will be lamenting the fact they have no identity but the ones their kids give them. And you will be bragging about another PR, and they will be saying, "Wait, you're HOW OLD!?"

That's why you rock.