Sunday, March 1, 2009

March Is In Like A Lion

I first want to mention that my Clydesdale husband completed a 35-mile ultra marathon entirely on the beach--from the Atlantic Beach jetty to the St. Augustine Beach jetty. It was 80 degrees. There was also a strong headwind and some soft sand he had to balance against the tidepools. He finished under 7 hours, and I am so in awe and wonder. Go Bob!
So I embarked on an eight-and-a-half miler with a 25 MPH headwind the first five-and-a-half. I was blown all over the place, and the gusts were so insistent, I had to wear a bandanna on my face like a convenience store thief. I worked very hard to get to the turn-around so that I could have the wind at my back. I got a good kick going on the way home, and I felt strong. I have another 8 tomorrow with a much faster runner, so maybe she will intimidate me to get a little more out of my comfort zone. I have this personal goal to acquire 1000 miles this year--and I have been a slacker as of late.

No comments: