Monday, March 24, 2008

OK Kids, the topic is racism

Well, before I begin on today's tirade, I just want to say what a perfect morning for a run!!! With this illness, I haven't been able to do anything the last few days. When I woke up this morning, I felt good. I pulled on my shoes and just gave it all I got for three miles. I felt like singing as I headed out of my development. It just doesn't get any better than that. I was thinking "jog", but I ended up doing a fast 25 minutes (and yes, that is fast for me).

After viewing Obama's "Racism" speech, I have been thinking about how certain assumptions about groups of people continue to proliferate in society and it just sickens me. Whether it be in the form of a joke or a snide comment, blanket statements about groups of people do nothing but cause trouble. Sometimes I even have to keep my thoughts in check. I do find myself assessing certain types of people as "rednecks" and "white trash". I need to quarantine this behavior...even though I am as white as they are, I am manifesting bigotry. It happens. It is something I have to work on. I am appalled that the Florida legislature passed a bill to appease "The Sons Of The South" with a new Florida license plate that will be available soon to the general public. It depicts a picture of the confederate flag. There is NOTHING honorable about the confederate flag. If you are proud you are from the South, I think there are many other ways of expressing your pride than by wielding a symbol of hate. It hurts and offends certain members of society, and it is embarrassing that our government allows this to occur. I am embarrassed to be an American because these racist mainstays continue to he honored and held up for emulation. It is WRONG.

That being said, racism and bigotry continues to grow unchecked. I hear terms like "ragheads" sprinkled liberally in everyday conversation at the gym. The person who uses such terminology makes me form an opinion about them, "ignorant dumbass". Statements using such words do nothing but continue the proliferation of prejudice which, ironically in the Home of the Free, I am sure our founding fathers would be very saddened by. I don't think this is what they intended when they inked the declaration of independence.

Is there hope for any of us? Are we as a nation going to continue to bog ourselves down in stereotypes and insults? I am coming down off my soapbox now. There is so much more I would love to say about the topic, but I could end up sounding prejudiced! I want so much better for my children.

1 comment:

Preston said...

We have those plates here in Alabama too. I have to admit, when I see one on a car, my opinion of that person drops.